Saturday, August 14, 2010

Special Awards...Part Deux!

In addition to the judges picking their favs, we as hosts decided to get down to show our love for some special fics too.

SorceressCirce's Pick: Peaches by hyacinthgirl18


I've tried to start this review countless times, and there are just no words. For those of you who know me, you know what an unbelievable occurrence this is.

The reason there are no words is that this story grips me somehow. It sucks me in with the playful, antagonistic banter between Bella and Edward and makes me really like Bella while thinking Edward is a bit of a douche...and then that's turned around completely, and I really want to smack Bella when I begin to see that while, yes, Edward is a bit of a douche, there's a lot more to him that she's just not seeing even if she feels it.

See? I'm rambling and incoherent. Gah.

One of the things I really love about this story is that the ridiculous insecurities of Bella are understated. I can absolutely see a teenager feeling this way about herself. Hyacinthgirl18 does an amazing job of having Bella be completely oblivious to her own feelings and those of Edward while somehow still getting the clues across to the reader, and the result is a sometimes charming, sometimes frustrating, always engaging tale that made me literally call out, "No!" at least once.

I wanted to cry at the ending, which is where the title for this award comes from, but even though I want more for them, the story feels completely wrapped up - albeit in a depressing way that leaves me sobbing and pulling my hair out. Okay, maybe that's a little melodramatic, but the fact remains - I want more for the two of them because their connection is palpable, but as a reader, I can appreciate the way this fic wraps up completely.

That said, I'm begging for more. Please, hyacinthgirl18?


Yogagal's Pick: A Night in Vienna by Zigster



I'll be honest. I'm a little biased over this fic, because it used a prompt I submitted. *ducks and hides*

However! I have to say that while I did submit this bunny, I was completely blown away with the direction Zigster took it in. Zigster took the bunny and made it totally her own, fleshing it out to bring us an Irish Edward, a cranky Jasper and a night (in Vienna) to remember.

Zigs brings the life of a band on the road to the reader in full detail. Reading the fic, I felt like I was squished in the back of a smelly van with the boys, headed to the next European destination on their tour. We meet the boys at one of their stops, and it seems like Jasper is having some problems with Edward. My wussperv warning started to go off, because I wasn't sure how Zigs would be able to make it all happy boy loving by the end of the o/s.

Using alternating POVs, we get to see a night in Vienna unfold from both Edward and Jasper's eyes. Zigs infuses her storytelling with rich detail and colorful imagery so vivid, you'll feel like you're traipsing through the streets of Vienna as well. I won't ruin it and spill the deets of what exactly happened over the course of a night (and morning!), but believe me when I tell you, if you're a sucker for sweetness and swooning, you *won't* be disappointed. I'm already chomping at the bit in hopes that Zigs will continue this a bit more so we can catch up with these boys further down the road!


Il-Bel-Mondo's Pick: Bring It On: All or Nothing by Lexiecullen17


Who doesn't love those cheerleading stories? I mean whether it's in real life and a mom has just hired a hit man because her daughter didn't make the squad. Or a cheesy, stupidly funny movie with more sexual innuendos than construction worker cat calls. And lets not forget the usage of hot, flexible guys in tight uniforms! Lexiecullen17 does a beautiful job of meshing all of that together in her entry- Bring It On: All or Nothing.


This paragraph from her story shows the talent she has for letting you truly get to know her characters. Bella's internal dialogue is wicked snarky and soooo reminds me of the evil cheer girls from my high school. They're full of venom and hate one second and back to peppy and fake laughs and smiles the next.



Ugh. Kate and my mom lead a sing a long, while I concentrate on reworking formations and how the hell we're going to get a front base for our final basket toss. We're missing a girl this week, and it's put a serious crimp in my plans. Not that I fault Tia for not being here. She's the maid of honor in her sister's wedding; there was no getting around it. Okay, that's a lie. I'm totally holding it against her. Who plans a wedding the same week as Nationals anyway? I know who—a no good, never could be good enough to make the squad bitch, who wants to fuck us over, that's who. But that can't stop us. This week is do or die. For me, at least.

Cranking up the volume on my ipod, I hum We Are The Champions as I scribble down our altered plans. We're going to need serious rehearsal time before our first performance tomorrow if we want to come out on top.


Which we do. Obviously.


...... I absolutely adore her Edward and his Jacobian need to be shirtless off and on throughout this tale. To sum up his wonderful abs in board shorts he has his ever present smile


Edward pauses and smiles. I want to take a snapshot of that smile and get off to it later.

And in the shower after our afternoon practice, I do. Twice.
Hah yup she went there and when they met again it was full on hot smexin in the sand of the beach.


So besides the fact that they're there for a national competition, I think Bella got the individual trophy for the Best Use of Edwards Spirit Stick.



Congrats to all the winners of the voting rounds and the special awards! We also want to take a moment to thank everyone who took the time to submit a bunny, request a bunny and/or submitted an entry - you all rock!

If you submitted a bunny to the contest and it got written up as an entry, now would be the time to "reveal" yourself to the author, if you so choose.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of our phenomenal judges: naelany, Ahizelm, Echoesoftwilight, jessypt, MsKathy & araeo. They did a fab job and we love them for it!! xo


Also...keep those bunny ears perked, because you never know when round 2 of the Plot Bunny Contest will hop along...

xo
Yogagal, SorceressCirce & Il-Bel-Mondo

No comments:

Post a Comment